Pine Nut Allergy Treatment
Any time you suspect a severe allergic reaction, you should seek immediate emergency care. For longer term management, consulting an allergist is important as they can help you recognize the symptoms of mild, moderate, and severe reactions, and give the most appropriate treatment.
Food allergies, including allergies to pine nuts, are best treated by completely avoiding the food. To accomplish this it may be necessary to learn how to read food labels, deal with the potential dangers of restaurants, and be aware of other potential exposure.
The most effective treatment for serious allergic food reactions is epinephrine injection. Epinephrine self-administration devices are the first line of defense against anaphylaxis. Severe reactions can occur even in people who have only had relatively mild reactions in the past. Talk to your allergist about the suitability of carrying an epinephrine injector if you, or your child, have a known allergy to pine nuts. If you have been prescribed an epinephrine injector, use it at the first sign of symptoms and then go to the nearest emergency room.
Pine Pollen Allergy Treatment
Pollen allergies can be treated with medication to control the symptoms. Other types of pollen allergies have been treated with immunotherapy, and pine pollen allergies may eventually be treated this way.
While pollen easily travels in the air, some strategies to avoid it can help . Pollen levels are typically highest in the morning (between 5 and 10 am), and when the air is dry, so postponing outdoor activities until the afternoon, or going out after heavy rain, can help. Keeping windows closed to keep pollen out will also help, and avoiding drying clothes on hanging lines will keep them from collecting pollen.
This page was reviewed for accuracy 4/23/2018.